This morning we start with the word ‘spin’. I do believe you will get a kick out of this….
Judy Walkman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California, was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Senator Harry Reid’s great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid share this common ancestor. The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory:
On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: ‘Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.’
So Judy recently e-mailed Senator Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle.
Believe it or not, Harry Reid’s staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research: “Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory. His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.”
**NO this is not a true story but it does depict well what the media and our representatives do to US each and every day. FYI The man in the photo is actually Thomas Edward “Black Jack” Ketchum, a notorious train robber who was executed in New Mexico in 1901. The photo was made into a souvenir postcard with the inscription, “The hanging of Black Jack the outlaw.” No mention of any Remus.
But it brings me to the latest ‘spin’….
- We have all seen Obama’s latest ad in which Joe Soptic claims that Romney killed his wife. Aside from the obvious lies here is some pertinent information to thwart the left’s claim of ‘its’ true’ Soptic said that when Romney closed the plant his family lost their healthcare and as a result Soptic’s wife died.
Romney WAS NOT active at Bain for 2 years before the layoffs;
Soptic failed to mention that it wasn’t until 7 years after Romney left Bain that his wife’s cancer was discovered;
Soptic failed to mention that his wife was working and had her own insurance when he was laid off.
Soptic’s version of the FACTS… ‘When Mitt Romney and Bain closed the plant, I lost my heathcare and my family lost their heathcare and a short time after that my wife became ill and she passed away in 22 days.”
The Obama campaign has refused to condemn the ad, which is part of a $20 million Priorities television campaign. Despite the insistence of campaign officials that they did not know Soptic’s story, the campaign featured the steelworker in one of its own advertisements as well as on a conference call. (More on all of this below)
******A group of ten wealthy mega donors have donated a combined $12.55 million to Priorities USA. Freebeacon identifies the players/deceivers (and what an interesting list it is):
- Obama’s SuperPAC, Priorities USA, has taken a lot of flak for some of its recent television spots. Now, in a new ad, the campaign itself has accused Romney of intimate financial involvement in one of “the largest tax avoidance schemes in history.” As its narrator puts it, “We do know that Romney personally approved over $70 million in fictional losses to the IRS as part of the notorious ‘Son of Boss’ tax scandal,” the narrator says, “Isn’t it time for Romney to come clean?” The accusation centers on Romney’s role as an auditor for Marriott International in the 1990s, when the hotel chain was successfully accused of using a complicated tax shelter.
- Top Reid Aide: The “Source” on Romney’s Taxes is a Republican
Or not. Katie Pavlich reports that a top aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told the Huffington Post that the “source” responsible for telling the Senator that Mitt Romney hasn’t paid taxes in ten years, is a Republican. After the story gained some steam, the same aide quickly backtracked, telling HuffPo he actually has no clue as to the source’s political affiliation.
A top aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) provided new details Wednesday on the identity of Reid’s source for theclaim that Mitt Romney did not pay taxes for 10 years. Romney has since called on Reid to release the name of the source.
“This person is an investor in Bain Capital, a Republican also, and somebody who has been dealing with Romney’s company for a long, long time and he has direct knowledge of this,” said Reid aide Jose Parra, referring to Romney’s tax returns.
“I do not know the party affiliation of the source, how long he invested with Bain, or his relationship to Romney beyond the fact that he was an investor with Bain Capital, as Senator Reid has previously stated.”
I wonder if the aide actually knows if the source exists..
- The Obama campaign is out with a rebuttal ad to a Romney spot that attacked the president on welfare reform. Citing news stories that called the Romney campaign spot “blatantly false,” the 30-second ad, “Blatant,” outlines what Obama has done to support welfare reform. “In fact, Obama’s getting states to move twenty percent more people from welfare to work,” the ad says.
- Not counting social security, medicaid and many more. This is Obama’s Utopian dream for America coming to fruition. The Cloward-Piven strategy in full bloom. Create a dependent class of slaves who will perpetuate their own enslavement by continually electing those who promise more handouts until we are all equally poor and miserable.
- WND gives us a great summary of the latest game play of the left and we’d better be ready….
Amid the controversy over a Democratic super PAC ad featuring a man whose wife died of cancer years after Mitt Romney’s old firm Bain Capital was involved in his company, is another charge by Democrats against the GOP.
The ad asserts Republicans want to end unemployment benefits.
Created by Democracy for America, Gov. Howard Dean’s political organization, it says Republicans in their “extreme” agenda pushed efforts over the last two years in Congress to end unemployment benefits.
Online searches show plenty of discussion about how long unemployment benefits should continue but not a single report surfaced indicating Republicans were planning to end the benefits.
The email ad begins: “You’ve seen the extreme agenda – the most extreme I’ve ever seen – being pushed by Republicans in Congress over the last two years.”
It lists with bullet points “Repealing President Obama’s healthcare law,” “Defunding Planned Parenthood,” “Cutting Social Security benefits,” “Privatizing Medicare” and “Ending unemployment benefits.”
“And no action on creating jobs or protecting America’s middle class,” charges Dean’s organization. “We can’t let this extreme agenda go any further. We have to win in November. It’s not enough to re-elect President Obama. We need to take back the House from John Boehner’s Tea Party majority and elect bold progressive leaders to the Congress, or else we’ll be stuck with two more years of our economy and our middle class being held hostage by extreme ideology.”
There are two points in the ad: the promotion of “12 progressive leaders in close races who could decide control of the next Congress” and raking in donations.
While Obama’s email missives almost always ask for $3, Dean’s group apparently is more needy, requesting $12 “to help elect the Dean Dozen.”
The ad also explains a little about itself, specifying that the “Dean Dozen” is the “highest” endorsement the group offers, “a guarantee from our one million members that we will do whatever it takes to win in November.”
The email lists six candidates, Carol Shea-Porter of New Hampshire, Joe Miklosi of Colorado, Shelli Yoder of Indiana, Jose Hernandez of California, Kathy Boockyar of Pennsylvania and Martin Heinrich of New Mexico.
WND emailed and called Democracy for America seeking comment on the ad or an explanation for the claim Republicans are for “ending unemployment benefits,” only to be referred to a spokeswoman. A call to her number elicited a referral to another number back at DFA, where a message was left.
The controversy continues to churn over the ad by the super PAC Priorities USA, with columnist Pat Buchanan sounding off. He called the Obama advocacy ad the “moral equivalent of poison gas.”
Buchnan writes that in the ad, Romney is “charged with moral, if not material, complicity in the cancer death of the wife of a Missouri steelworker.”
“Speaking straight into the camera, Joe Soptic, 62, charges Romney with coldly shutting down the plant where he worked and cutting off his health insurance. This, says Soptic, left his wife without insurance to pay for her care, until, falling ill, she went to a doctor, who discovered stage 4 cancer, which killed her in 22 days,” Buchanan writes.
“Soptic implies a causal connection between Romney’s decision to shut the plant and his wife’s death. The ad is a premeditated attempt to murder the reputation of Mitt Romney. And from start to finish, it is a deception.”
Buchanan pointed out Romney moved out of leadership at Bain Capital in 1999, and the steel plant closed in 2001. But while Soptic lost his health insurance, his wife was still working and had hers. She lost her job and insurance in 2003. Her illness and cancer were discovered in 2006, when Romney was ending his fourth year as governor of Massachusetts.”
“The White House, through its cynical silence, has been complicit in this moral atrocity as it reaps the benefits,” he said.
Further, while an Obama campaign official denied knowing the facts of the case, she reportedly had a telephone conference call with the man about the same issue.
Fox News reported Deputy Campaign Manager Stephanie Cutter yesterday said, “I don’t know the facts” about the Soptic case.
But the report said in May, Cutter herself hosted a conference call in which Soptic detailed his case to reporters.
“During the call, as he did in the ad, Soptic explained his wife fell ill after he lost his job, and he lost his health insurance. The call took place as Soptic began appearing in Obama campaign ads and was featured in a profile on the Obama campaign website,” the report said.
The Romney campaign called the Soptic ad “a new low.”
“As if the disgusting and disgraceful ad wasn’t enough, President Obama’s top campaign advisers repeatedly lied, claiming they had no knowledge about the content of the ad,” a campaign statement said.
It noted the Cutter campaign telephone call with Soptic and the campaign decision to feature Soptic in its own production, before the PAC ad came out and the denials that the Obama campaign knew of the man.
“As Reid J. Epstein of Politico wrote, ‘When President Obama’s aides said they weren’t familiar with former Missouri steelworker Joe Soptic’s life story, all they had to do was check their own campaign archives.’”
The Romney campaign said it wanted Americans “to know about this discredited, dishonest, despicable attack by President Obama’s allies designed to divert attention from his failed economic record.”
Dean’s DFA explains it is going to “fight to stop right-wing Republicans and big corporate interests from rolling back the progress we’ve made.”
- O’s campaign sort of came clean with the fact they lied and lied and lied, however they conclude that Romney should be put through the same media wringer. because one of several anti-Obama super PAC had broadcast ads questioning the president’s birth in Hawaii. (I know, I am still laughing too).
- With Eric Holder suing states to prevent voter ID laws how many of these illegals will return the dream for Obama and elect him to a second disastrous term?
- You Just CAN’T make this stuff up…
According to The New York Times, President Obama is a “voracious consumer of news.” But he’s not at all happy with a media that has engaged in a one-sided love affair with him. He has harsh words for the media establishment.
Times writer Amy Chozick herself seemed quite star struck by the President giving us paragraph after paragraph filled with evidence of how impressed she is with Obama’s reading habits and media interaction. But for the President, the feeling isn’t mutual.
Breitbart writes You see he’s mad that the press keeps giving the other side so much coverage.
While Mr. Obama frequently criticizes the heated speech of cable news, he sees what he views as deeper problems in news outlets that strive for objectivity. In private meetings with columnists, he has talked about the concept of “false balance” — that reporters should not give equal weight to both sides of an argument when one side is factually incorrect. He frequently cites the coverage of health care and the stimulus package as examples, according to aides familiar with the meetings.
The Me-Myself-and-I President says that the press should just stop giving that “factually incorrect” side all that coverage. He is right and that is all the press needs to report. There is no “other side” to an issue. Just Obama’s.
- Now, I hate to be a party pooper but I find this news from the WP awfully coincidental… After a spring and summer of weak economic indicators, a flurry of fresh data suggest key sectors of the economy might be gaining traction, just as the battle for the White House enters the final round. The long-moribund housing market has bustled to life, with prices and new-home construction rising in recent weeks. Hiring, so weak earlier this year, picked up last month. And on Thursday, the government reported an acceleration of a downward trend in the number of people seeking unemployment insurance, as well as a sharp improvement in U.S. exports. Together, the signs point to an improving economy, a potentially important shift for President Obama’s re-election campaign. “The better the economy between now and November, the better it is for Democrats and Obama,” said Ray C. Fair, a Yale University professor who studies the relationship between economics and electoral outcomes.
- U.S. Fed govt has 80 welfare programs, only 3 have work requirements.
- Entitlement comes at a very high price, typically at a loss of freedom and in this case it’s a loss of choice. Senate Democrats have now proposed the Protecting Students from Worthless Degrees Act intended to grant the Government the power to approve or disapprove of which majors and courses along with which schools you will be allowed to choose when you receive a FederalStudent Loan or Grant. http://www.rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/senate-dems-want-to-decide-what-you-should-be-when-you-grow-up/
- The latest example of just how out-of-touch Governor Romney’s staff is with the issues that are driving this election was another comment by Romney campaign spokesperson Andrea Saul — late of Senator Orin Hatch’s staff. Saul was recently asked about an ad by Democrat Super Pac “Priorities USA,” featuring a steelworker who was laid-off by a company that received financing from Romney’s old company, Bain Capital. However, instead of calling the ad the lie it is, Saul accepted the premise that it was government’s responsibility to provide health insurance. In the process, she managed to hand the Obama campaign a golden club to beat Romney with by saying Romney’s Massachusetts plan would have covered a woman who lost her health insurance after her husband was laid off. http://www.conservativehq.com/article/9218-obama-wins-if-keeps
- The Hudson Valley Patriots is mentioned in Matt Kibbe’s book Hostile Takeover! How cool is that? As many of you know HVP morphed into the Differences of US and we now have over 20,000 readers! Now THAT is really cool and ALL the credit goes to each and every one of you for sharing the articles, NTKN and stories! I do believe God is happy that we are God Fearing Freedom Loving Warriors! Whooo Hoooo!!!
- Imagine for a moment a bill, which if it became law, would repeal everything Obama has signed into law. Well, Rep. King is seriously considering such a thing!
- Bailouts for Everyone! Barack Obama wants to repeat the “success” of auto bailout with every industry. The U.S. government will lose about $23 billion on the 2008-2009 bailout of General Motors and Chrysler. The extra UAW subsidies in the auto bailout cost $26.5 billion—more than the entire foreign aid budget in 2011. The Detroit auto bailout was, in fact, a UAW bailout. The Politico reported: “I said, I believe in American workers, I believe in this American industry, and now the American auto industry has come roaring back,” he said. “Now I want to do the same thing with manufacturing jobs, not just in the auto industry, but in every industry.” Now Obama wants to repeat that “success” with every industry. We are only 15,9856,910,###,### in debt. What is a couple hundred billion more? Uggh!
- Fred Thompson tweeted this morning: WH website chides that unemployment isn’t 8.3%, it’s only 8.254%. Guys… what’s really bugging us is the first digit, not the last one.
- To round out this Friday morning – let’s hop over to the Blaze and see the responses from O supporters as to ‘why government should pay for contraceptives’.
Enjoy your weekend!